April 2021 saw 266,000 jobs added with leisure and hospitality leading the way with job gains, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The national unemployment rate held relatively unchanged at 6.1%. The unemployment rate for college-degreed workers fell to 3.5% from 3.7% the month prior.
The leisure and hospitality sector continues to see the largest gain with 331,000 jobs added as the country continues with vaccinations and people are easing back into activities. Additionally, there was a slight increase in employment in social assistance, which rose by 23,000. Much of that increase was in child day care services, potentially a result of reopening and returning to the workplace.
- With 9.8 million currently unemployed, the unemployment rate, at 6.1% remained little changed in April.
- The unemployment rate for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher is at 3.5% vs. 3.7% the month prior.
- Data for April suggest that the rising demand for labor associated with the recovery from the pandemic may have put upward pressure on wages
- Average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls increased by 21 cents to $30.17, following a decline of 4 cents in the prior month.
- Average hourly earnings for private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees rose by 20 cents to $25.45.
Jobs Added by Industry:
- Largest gains continue in leisure and hospitality 331,000 jobs added which includes amusements, gambling and recreation (+73,000)
- Government added 48,000 jobs
- Other Services added 44,000 jobs
- Financial Activities saw 19,000 added jobs primarily in real estate and rental leasing
- Healthcare and Social Assistance added 18,500 jobs
- Wholesale trade added 7,800 jobs
What are your long term or short-term business needs and objectives – and how can we help? We’re connecting with top talent daily across industries and would like to be a resource for you.
Whether you need temporary staffing or help with direct hiring, or just have questions about trends in the local market and salary insight, schedule a 1:1 chat with your Ledgent representative to discuss your needs. Find your nearest branch today!